Abstract Ref Number = APCP1191
Poster Presentation
Natharina Yolanda,Jessica Giovanni,Harris Alfan,Audrey Atma Jaya Hospital
Background : Management of tuberculosis in children is challenging due to under- and over-treatment. Directly-observed treatment, short-course (DOTS) strategy is one of Stop TB Strategy recommended by WHO. Description of pediatric tuberculosis cases treated with DOTS strategy could help improve overall TB treatment strategy. Material : This was a descriptive study of pediatric patients enrolled into TB-DOTS program of Atma Jaya Hospital during January – December 2017. Data were extracted from TB-BOTS registry, including subjects’ characteristic, components of tuberculosis score, BCG scar, screening of contacts, and diagnosis and treatment status. All data were presented in proportion and percentage. Results : There were total 45 subjects; 62% was female and 38% was male. Most of the subjects were in age group 1-5 years old. All of the cases were new cases and most of the them (80%) were lung tuberculosis. Approximately half of the treated patients had tuberculosis score 6 or more. Severe malnutrition was found in 13% of subjects. As much as 78% of subjects had prolonged fever, 62% had chronic cough, and 82% had supporting characteristic of tuberculosis in thorax radiography. Mantoux test of ?10 mm was recorded in 53% of subjects, while data of the rest 47% were not available. Ninety-one percent had visible BCG scar. Only 18% of subjects had their family screened; 8% had tuberculosis disease and 2% had latent TB. Fixed-dose combination therapy was used in 93% of patients. Based on their treatment status, 47% were cured, 38% were on their current therapy, while 16% of patients had dropped out the treatment. Conclusions : Diagnosis of pediatric tuberculosis was challenging and not fully relied on scoring system. Treatment compliance with DOTS strategy was quite high. Screening of family members needed to be improved in order to control source of infection.
Keywords: tuberculosis DOTS children compliance
Disclaimer: The Views and opinions expressed in the articles are of the authors and not of the journal.
Journal Office
Mid City Hospital, 3-A Shadman II
Jail Road, Lahore ,Pakistan
Managing Editor
Dr. Digant D Shastri
Support & Help
Associate Editor
Dr. M. Faheem Afzal
Support & Help
e-Journal Administrator
Dr. Khalid Masud